Knee Revision In India Things To Consider While Going For The Surgery
Knee Revision In India Things To Consider While Going For The Surgery
Planning your medical trip to India is a very simple process with Joint Replacement Surgery Hospital India
- You just need to fill in our enquiry form and one of our executives will contact you soon.
- +91-9860432255 Call us at the given contact number for any assistance.
- Complete information regarding surgery is provided on our website.
Knee Revision Overview
When the knee replacement fails to function properly, surgery is the online option left. During this process, the surgeon replaces the old device with a new one. It is not something which can be taken lightly and is more complicated than a total knee replacement surgery.
How do I know if I am a good candidate for Knee Revision Procedure?
If you notice any unusual amount of swelling or swelling, then you need to get in touch with a surgeon. If the surgeon feels that there is any problem, he may ask for a detailed examination.
Check out the Patient Testimonial, where the patient shares about their success stories from treatments through Joint Replacement Surgery Hospital India.
I was diagnosed with a loosened knee prosthesis in May 2010. My original surgeon does not do knee revisions. That was my first mistake in choosing my former surgeon. A surgeon should always be able to fix his own mistakes. I researched Doctors who are able to do revision surgery and Dr. Lyman was my choice. After walking on a loose knee for six months , I feared that the surgery and recovery was going to be twice as long and difficult as the first surgery. I was totally wrong. I was an Infection Control Practitioner for 8 years.and it is evident that Dr. Lyman pays meticulous attention to infection control. Infection is probably your worst enemy wiht knee surgery. Dr. Lyman opereated on my knee on Oct 26th. My surgery took twice as long as my first surgery because as Dr. Lyman said my knee was a mess. With this in mind, I was ready for discharge in 24 hours. I was up walking with a walker 4 hours after surgery. I was walking without a walker in three days and never took one pain pill with the exception of Tylenol . I am now starting my 4th week of Rehab, and my Physical Therapist tells me my recovery has been amazing. Not only is Dr. Lyman a superb surgeon, his bedside manner is supportive and caring. My professional advice is choose Dr. Lyman
Hello, I am Franklin Turay from Nigeria. I was diagnosed with a loosened knee prosthesis last year. Since my original surgeon does not do knee revisions, I didn’t choose him and started researching for surgeons who perform knee revision surgery. I came across your website and after contacting them, I decided to fly down to India for my surgery. I also talked with my surgeon over the phone before arriving in India. Before my surgery, I was afraid, but my surgeon made me feel comfortable. His bedside manner is supportive and caring. He is a professional who cleared all my doubts. The nurses and the hospital staff were quite compassionate and caring. My surgery went smoothly. I extend my sincere appreciation to everyone, including the healthcare group, my surgeon and nurses for helping me throughout my entire medical journey in India.
Knee Revision Procedure & Recovery & Effectiveness
In case of Knee Revision in India the first step is removal of the implant. If significant amounts of bone loss are felt, then bone grafts may be required to fill in the voids. This is followed by the stage where specialized revision knee implants are inserted.
Knee Revision in India reviews of patients indicates that the recovery period varies from patient to patient. In most of the cases within 24 hours of the procedure physical therapy may be initiated. This continues for up to two or three months after the surgery.
Why Opting Knee Revision is necessary?
A failed knee implant is indicated by an increase or decrease in the function of the knees. Persistent pain and swelling paves ways for loosening and the location of the pain is felt all over the knee. More than 90 % of the people who have gone under the knife have claimed excellent results. Though it is another point that nearly 20 % of the patients experience some pain after surgery and this can persist for many years after the surgery.
Why to choose an Indian Hospital for your Knee Revision?
Over a period of time India has gained a reputation as a global medical hub with medical tourists flocking in to this part of the world. One of the reasons attributed to this fact is Affordable Knee Revision in India and the quality at par with international standards. Not only are the patients, the relatives that accompany them are taken care off in the best hospitals. Another major advantage is that one does not have to undergo waiting lists when one compares it to the western countries. So for all sorts of treatments, apart from emergencies India is a safe bet.
Knee Revision Cost in India
Low cost Knee Revision in India is provided by most of the elite hospitals in the country. When one compares it to the treatment costs in the western countries, even after taking into consideration the accommodation costs, one can make a lot of savings and spend post treatment for a better future. It is not that surgery may be the online option as the doctors are not on a money making spree and sometimes alternative courses of treatment may yield the desired results as well. Free Consultation Knee Revision in India will provide a clear cut idea on the desired course of action.
If you are really seeking Knee Revision Surgery, kindly fill up the form for a free consultation with our surgeons. You will be provided with thorough analysis and suggestions regarding the Knee Revision Surgery you are seeking.Click to Here Fill up our Enquiry Form
Revision surgery is different in that the original components are removed and new components are implanted. The technical aspects of the surgery are more complex than the original total knee replacement. However, the preparation for surgery and hospital experience tend to be very similar to the primary knee replacement.
The decision to perform a revision surgery is based on several factors. After partial knee replacement osteoarthritis may have advanced to other compartments of the knee. After total knee replacement the implant may have become loose, worn or infected. As the implant fails the patient may experience a limp, stiffness, or instability. X-rays or computer imaging may show a change in the position or condition of the implant components. Assessment of these indicators will help determine when knee revision surgery is needed. It’s estimated that over 50% of knee revision procedures will be performed within two years of the initial knee replacement.
- Loosening: Cemented implants can become loose because the cement-bone interface has failed. This is usually due to bone die back, meaning the tiny projections of bone that the cement initially attaches to having either broken off in weight bearing or simply deteriorated due to infection or weak bone (osteoporosis). Non-cemented implants can loosen for much the same reason except it is the implant-bone interface that fails. However, current state-of-the-art materials and techniques have improved the quality of implant fixation to the bone which had historically been a weak link that created a potential site of failure.
- Wear: The plastic parts of knee replacements are softer than the metal and are more prone towards wear during use. Usually this happens after a long period of time as modern plastics (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene or UHMWPE) are very durable and can withstand a considerable amount of wear and impact. Generally speaking, plastic parts are more likely to wear because the accompanying metal parts are not properly aligned, the plastic itself is misaligned, there is a presence of infection, or because they are very old. It is known that wear actually begins from day one after surgery, but the implants can cope with the early stages of wear very well. Implant manufacturers have significantly decreased the amount of wear particles that are created by friction on joint surfaces. However, after several years there may be a build-up of worn off particles which can cause problems in nearby tissues as microscopic fragments get absorbed into the cells and create inflammatory conditions causing pain.
- Infection: With modern surgical techniques the risk of infection from total knee replacement is very low at about 0.5%. If infection does occur, it usually arises due to a substance on the devices called bio-film. This organic material is a microscopic layer of fungal material containing microbes living in a state of hibernation. All implanted devices have this phenomena including items such as stents and pacemakers. Infection arises when the microbes become active and multiply. It is not yet known what provokes this sudden change, but it is known that a series of changes occurs, allowing the microbes reach a state of maturity and become more susceptible to eradication with antibiotic treatment.
- Fractures: Although rare, trauma to the knee may result in a fracture that disrupts the stability of the implant and fixation to the bone which may require surgery to repair.
- Patient-related factors: Rarely do age, activity level, health or being overweight contributes to implant failure. Most knee replacement patients are over 50 years of age and older individuals tend to put lower demands on their implants.
A revision procedure is typically more complex than the initial knee replacement surgery because your surgeon must remove the original implant. The surgery also takes longer to perform than an initial knee replacement. Revision knee replacement usually does not provide the same expected lifespan as an initial replacement. Surgical trauma, scar tissue, and mechanical weakening of components tend to reduce performance of a revised implant.
Care after knee revision surgery is similar to the care you’d receive after total knee replacement. This includes a combination of light physical therapy and pain medications as needed. Blood thinning medication will also be given to prevent blood clots. A walker or crutches will be used early in the recovery period, and you will progress to a cane or walking without any assistance as your condition improves. Although pain relief and increased stability are expected outcomes, complete pain relief and restoration of function is not always possible. Up to 20% of patients may still experience some pain following knee revision surgery. This may persist for several years after the procedure. More than 90% of patients who undergo revision procedures can expect to have good to excellent results.
Joint Replacement Surgery Hospital India offers highest quality bone and joint health care with attentiveness, care and compassion to meet the needs of the patients and their loved ones. The medical team includes board-certified orthopedic surgeons who are familiar with all the aspects of the musculoskeletal system. Our hospital uses the most advanced technologies available for the orthopaedic procedures and has a lower complication rate.
You can most definitely choose hotels as per your convenience to you and your budget.
To know about the procedure of getting an Indian Medical Visa, please go to our website where you will find all the details regarding the initial procedure. You can also send us a query regarding the same.
Many hospitals in India have language translators to help you communicate better and effortlessly with the doctors and medical staff.